August 14, 2010

Beer Is Back Girls!

If you're anything like me (a gluten-free gal 4 yrs. and counting), then you have missed having a beer every now and again. I am a huge fan of wine, my husband and I have a great little collection, but since I've had Mia, and my doctor suggested, I have been super into beer again. When I had my first sip of Green's Double Dark Ale, I almost fell over! It was the best thing I'd ever tasted (as far as beer goes). Per doctor's orders, I needed to "have a beer" to promote healthy lactation, which of late, hasn't been so abundant for me.
It worked! I wasn't sure it was going to since gluten-free is, well, gluten-free, but it did the trick just as well as traditional beer would have.

I have been thoroughly enjoying them, and have branched out trying a few others out there (Bards Tale Beer, Anheuser-Bush's Redbridge) but as far as I'm concerned Green's is FAR superior (Green's is an import). They have three delightful brews; Endeavor Double Dark Ale (my personal fav), Quest Tripple Blonde Ale (second fav) and Mission Amber Ale.Photobucket

Greens Beer’s (http://www.glutenfreebeers.co.uk/) are “allergy free” because they do NOT contain any Gluten, Crustaceans, Eggs, fish, Peanuts, Soya beans, Milk, Lactose, Nuts, Celery, Mustard, Sesame seeds, sulphur dioxide and sulphites. They even carry the Free From Food Award located on their website: Photobucket

The grains they DO use are: Sorghum, Millet (both high in trace elements such as zinc and barley, but 3x and 2x more, respectively), buckwheat (high in Fagopyrins which decreases blood cholesterol and is high in protein) and Brown Rice.

Now, let me just say for the record that I am not "promoting" the drinking of alcohol during pregnancy or lactation in any way I am simply sharing with you what I've done/do, and if you are like-minded perhaps it will work for you as well. Don't forget the name of the blog, My Fat-Free Pregnancy and Beyond... and this yummy gluten-free beer is definitely included in my own personal beyond! My husband loves that I sometimes pop open a beer on a Friday night now (after I've given Mia her last feeding and put her down for the night), pour it into the biggest frosty beer mug you've ever seen (that I keep in my freezer for this purpose specifically) and sit down next to him on the couch to relax together. You can now BYOB to BBQ's and more, and simply state your allergy. My husband, a beer drinker himself has even admitted that the Green's beer is very, very good... "for not being real beer" he adds. ;)

I've found Green's Beer at Whole Foods, BevMo (in the import section), and Total Wine (in AZ), along with the Bards and Redbridge.

So enjoy your beer with a tasty gluten-free pizza this weekend, and let me know how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment